Corticon Dialogs

Posted by borigorl on 30-Jul-2014 07:18

Hi,

I want to check the rule using Corticon Dialogs with one of the rule created and tested in Corticon Studio. To design the dialog what software i have to install. what is the process to apply rule in a Corticon dialog.

is there any other process to run the rule and just taking the input from web interface.

Thanks in Advance,

Regards,

Brahmaiah...

All Replies

Posted by James Arsenault on 30-Jul-2014 09:28

Brahmaiah, can you provide more details on what you are doing. I'm confused because prior to acquisition Corticon had a "Dialogs" product which was never released by Progress. If you're referring to this, it's not a released product. You shouldn't be using it.

Posted by borigorl on 31-Jul-2014 04:24

Hi James Arsenault,

Thanks for the reply. We are planing to use the Corticon rule engine to do the busness logics and validations. So just we are exploring it. I have to validate the rules which i created in Corticon Studio using the web interface(forma/report). This will help us to demonstrate the sample(POC) rule to the client.

Please  can you provide any other way of taking input and sending to the rules to evalute and displaying the results.

Regards,
Brahmaiah B.
+91 9962573939

[collapse]
On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 7:59 PM, James Arsenault <bounce-jarsenau@community.progress.com> wrote:
Reply by James Arsenault

Brahmaiah, can you provide more details on what you are doing. I'm confused because prior to acquisition Corticon had a "Dialogs" product which was never released by Progress. If you're referring to this, it's not a released product. You shouldn't be using it.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

[/collapse]

Posted by James Arsenault on 31-Jul-2014 09:29

The Corticon Tester which is part of Studio provides for the testing of rules. It allows you to define a work document to pass to Corticon, execute rules, and then view the results. Is this something you can use?

You can also use various SOAP (or REST in 5.4) testing tools to make calls to decision services. If you go this route you have to build the XML or JSON payload yourself.

If you want to do this through a browser you will ultimately need to make a SOAP call (or REST in 5.4) to Corticon and then process the results. Other than the Corticon SOAP or REST service, we don’t provide the infrastructure for this. You’d need to write a webapp or servlet which presents a form for entering request data, packages the data to call a decision service, and formats the results for display.

[collapse]
From: borigorl [mailto:bounce-borigorl@community.progress.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2014 5:25 AM
To: TU.Corticon@community.progress.com
Subject: Re: [Technical Users - Corticon] Corticon Dialogs

Reply by borigorl
Hi James Arsenault,

Thanks for the reply. We are planing to use the Corticon rule engine to do the busness logics and validations. So just we are exploring it. I have to validate the rules which i created in Corticon Studio using the web interface(forma/report). This will help us to demonstrate the sample(POC) rule to the client.

Please  can you provide any other way of taking input and sending to the rules to evalute and displaying the results.

Regards,
Brahmaiah B.
+91 9962573939

On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 7:59 PM, James Arsenault <bounce-jarsenau@community.progress.com> wrote:
Reply by James Arsenault

[/collapse]

Posted by Ollie on 01-Aug-2014 08:51

I had the same challenge, needing to demonstrate Corticon to users. Because there was no implementation in any application I decided to develop a small webapp, using Ajax and wrapping data into a SOAP message. It's very simple and effective. A usable version was stood up in less than 40 hours. The demo consists only of a single HTML, some CSS and a bunch of JavaScript. No web server was needed, and the Corticon server runs on the same system, making the demo very portable.

The demonstration was very successful, so I can recommend this approach. 

Posted by borigorl on 02-Aug-2014 00:47

Hi,

Thanks for your valuable reply. can you provide the steps to achieve the same.

Regards,
Brahmaiah

[collapse]
On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 7:21 PM, olaf.janssens@mhplan.com <bounce-olafjanssensmhplancom@community.progress.com> wrote:
Reply by olaf.janssens@mhplan.com

I had the same challenge, needing to demonstrate Corticon to users. Because there was no implementation in any application I decided to develop a small webapp, using Ajax and wrapping data into a SOAP message. It's very simple and effective. A usable version was stood up in less than 40 hours. The demo consists only of a single HTML, some CSS and a bunch of JavaScript. No web server was needed, and the Corticon server runs on the same system, making the demo very portable.

The demonstration was very successful, so I can recommend this approach. 

[/collapse]

Posted by Ollie on 05-Aug-2014 07:52

It's basic HTML/JavaScript/CSS with the use of Ajax. There are no bells and whistles to it.

1. This mock-up had to be flexible, so all of it runs on a regular work station.

2. The Corticon server runs on the same system and contains a published service.

3. The front-end has only one HTML file, that includes all the JavaScript. The scripts are saved in separate files though.

4. A Javascript called "ajaxer.js" handles the xml request and response, completely built with standard ajax. You can find more details about ajax and how to use it on w3schools.com.

(5. I searched for a SOAP client for ajax, but nothing was simple enough for a proof of concept and I haven't done much development in years.)

>>6. I exported a Corticon SOAP request and a response through the Corticon Studion test sheet. This gave me all that I needed to know about Corticon's SOAP message structures. this function enables you to save the SOAP messages as XML files. That way you know exactly what the structure looks like. There are tools that you can use too, such as SOAP-UI and I'm sure that Eclipse and NetBeans have features, but if all else fails or if you're used to vi and shell scripts, exporting files from the test sheet is a sure thing.

>>7. It's the easiest to pull the SOAP request apart and hard-code the SOAP-envelope, while using variables to keep things flexible. This is just for demo purposes, so we keep things as simple as we can. The SOAP xml files that are described in step 6 consist of several segments. Most important are the envelope and the payload. The envelope is mostly (all) the same with every request. Your javascript can have that part in a string-variable. The structure and payload depend on your decision service and the information you send to Corticon. Using the request file from step 6 you will know exactly how to structure your request SOAP. You also need to know what Corticon returns, so that you can write the javascript that will transform the response into web-content.

(I built a demo that had fixed data in the request and it packed a punch, delivering us project requests and high visibility very quickly.)

8. My first PoC was with a simple temperature converter. I had built a small decision service for that. It takes a number of degrees and a scale (F or C) as input and outputs the degrees and opposite scale (C or F).

9. For the temperature converter I had a form on the web page to enter the number of degrees and pick the scale from a drop down. 32 F would then return 0 C and 25 C would return 77 F.

10. JavaScript takes the values entered into the form and wraps it into xml, puts that into a SOAP envelope and sends the request.

11. When the response comes back, all the relevant information is taken out and put into business objects.

12. The business model has its own javascript file.

13. The business model contains all the classes that represent the business objects, such as a class for temperature.

14. The user interface model also has its own file. It contains all the classes that create the user experience, such as dialogs and buttons.

15. CSS tops it all off with a nice design, enriched with images. (also in a separate file)

Posted by borigorl on 05-Aug-2014 10:49

Thanks for the information.

Regards,
Brahmaiah

[collapse]
On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 6:23 PM, olaf.janssens@mhplan.com <bounce-olafjanssensmhplancom@community.progress.com> wrote:

It's basic HTML/JavaScript/CSS with the use of Ajax. There are no bells and whistles to it.

1. This mock-up had to be flexible, so all of it runs on a regular work station.

2. The Corticon server runs on the same system and contains a published service.

3. The front-end has only one HTML file, that includes all the JavaScript. The scripts are saved in separate files though.

4. A Javascript called "ajaxer.js" handles the xml request and response, completely built with standard ajax. You can find more details about ajax and how to use it on w3schools.com.

(5. I searched for a SOAP client for ajax, but nothing was simple enough for a proof of concept and I haven't done much development in years.)

>>6. I exported a Corticon SOAP request and a response through the Corticon Studion test sheet. This gave me all that I needed to know about Corticon's SOAP message structures. this function enables you to save the SOAP messages as XML files. That way you know exactly what the structure looks like. There are tools that you can use too, such as SOAP-UI and I'm sure that Eclipse and NetBeans have features, but if all else fails or if you're used to vi and shell scripts, exporting files from the test sheet is a sure thing.

>>7. It's the easiest to pull the SOAP request apart and hard-code the SOAP-envelope, while using variables to keep things flexible. This is just for demo purposes, so we keep things as simple as we can. The SOAP xml files that are described in step 6 consist of several segments. Most important are the envelope and the payload. The envelope is mostly (all) the same with every request. Your javascript can have that part in a string-variable. The structure and payload depend on your decision service and the information you send to Corticon. Using the request file from step 6 you will know exactly how to structure your request SOAP. You also need to know what Corticon returns, so that you can write the javascript that will transform the response into web-content.

(I built a demo that had fixed data in the request and it packed a punch, delivering us project requests and high visibility very quickly.)

8. My first PoC was with a simple temperature converter. I had built a small decision service for that. It takes a number of degrees and a scale (F or C) as input and outputs the degrees and opposite scale (C or F).

9. For the temperature converter I had a form on the web page to enter the number of degrees and pick the scale from a drop down. 32 F would then return 0 C and 25 C would return 77 F.

10. JavaScript takes the values entered into the form and wraps it into xml, puts that into a SOAP envelope and sends the request.

11. When the response comes back, all the relevant information is taken out and put into business objects.

12. The business model has its own javascript file.

13. The business model contains all the classes that represent the business objects, such as a class for temperature.

14. The user interface model also has its own file. It contains all the classes that create the user experience, such as dialogs and buttons.

15. CSS tops it all off with a nice design, enriched with images. (also in a separate file)

[/collapse]

Posted by borigorl on 12-Aug-2014 01:37

Hi,

I am trying to make a decision service by deploying the CDD in Server but getting the Rule Flow null error message.

In corticon studio 5.2 i didn't see the publish option to do deploy from studio itself.

Regards,

Brahmaiah B.

Posted by James Arsenault on 12-Aug-2014 22:24

Brahmaiah,

You may need to contact support about this. They may ask you to provide the rule assets you are using and/or log files.

I encourage you to have a look a Corticon 5.4. The 5.2 version of Corticon is several years old at this point. There have been lots of enhancements to the product since then.

Jim

This thread is closed