Date field comparison failing for dates which are null

Posted by kshamachopra83 on 03-Jan-2014 23:23

I have a rulesheet in which I need to compare two date fields, one of which is passed as null from the application end. This condition is failing.

(filingUnit.eligibilityDeterminationMonth <> null and person.SSNApplicationDate <> null and filingUnit.eligibilityDeterminationMonth >= person.SSNApplicationDate)

Here, even if I put a null check for the person.SSNApplicationDate, it still goes ahead and tries to compare it with filingUnit.eligibilityDeterminationMonth and the condition fails altogether.

Let me know how can we handle date fields which are being passed as null.

All Replies

Posted by John Miller on 08-Jan-2014 17:33

Rule processing does support <null> values.  In most cases, there is an implicit null check done against both sides of the operator.  If one of the values is null, then the Condition will not be evaluated, and the rule will not fire.  This is expected behavior.

For advanced rule authors that are proficient in alias bindings to associations, filters may need to be applied to the alias to include or exclude associated objects from the collection based on a null value.

I see that a Support Ticket has been created related to this issue.  Support will gather Rule Assets, and they will be able to specifically identify the problem.  Once this is done, a follow up posting will be made to explain to other users in the Community.

Thank you for your patience.

This thread is closed